Sunday, September 22, 2013

sugar: behind the scenes


sugar, has all kinds of positive connotations: hey sugar, you're looking sugary, pour some sugar on me, sugar and spice and everything nice

in my mind, sugar is synonymous with sweets and sweets with treats, like holidays and gifts and pecan and apple pies and cheesecakes and baklava and horchata, and rosgalla, sandesh, and chom chom's.
every culture has their holiday sweets.

thing is, just like holidays and gifts and youth, we've been stretching it. we've been busy figuring out how we could get that feeling on a daily - holidaily! i've been hearing that the 30's are the new 20's and the 40's the new 30's.

as soon as my homegirl Val would get a check on friday, she'd give me a shout, and we'd take a three hour work break to go shopping for bags and shoes and jeans. you'd think it was a holiday. of course every friday meant re-upping cause last friday was afterall last friday, in the past. but it wasn't val. she was merely a spec of dust in the consumer hajj that happened every friday in the soho neighborhood we worked in.

the idea of a reward, a treat, of special, has been stretched. why not? what if christmas could be everyday?what if you could have new clothes, shoes, sweets everyday? treat everyday like a treat. and we r. in the worst ways.

so we took this whole power of now thing, this ancient philosophy - rooted in buddhism, hinduism, islam, yogum - and decided to apply it into our babylon culture of hyper-individualism/consumerism/me-me-me, only to spiritually rationalize our hyper individualism/consumerism/me-me-me. how sweet it is.

so lets get a taste of how sugar affects balance & im balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment