Saturday, December 14, 2013

day 13: bismillahhiramaniraheem


december 2013, december the last into the first into  a cycle of regeneration - spring, summer, fall, autumn, winter. in traditional chinese medicne the seasons are aligned with the organs, with balance and imbalance, with colors: wood-green, fire-red, earth-yellow, metal-white, water-black.

the ocean is black at midnight. so black that it is blue like krsna, the flirtatious lover, who was so expanisve and honest in his love, that each of his 16,660 concubines knew of each, knew that he was seeing that many others, and also knew he had a special thing for radha.

love is unconditional, my friend daniel reminds me in the art he is building for his lover, the one who has fleeted. she will be with me always. yes.

there is no one who i have not loved that is not with me today, writing these words with me, giving me Grace.

your children are your children but they are not your children, khalil gibran professes through his character the prophet, in his book, the prophet.

i beg for wisdom from the prophet muhammad, a man of such humility, that what your right hand does to give, to love, to serve, your left hand should not know about, my abbu tells me. my abbu, my teacher in the teachings of prophecy, of making clear that birth is both accidental and deliberate, to pay too much homage to this skin, this body is ignoring the You, beyond it, to reinforce all the injustice in the world.

i am shedding, little by little, yet some-days, when i am so caught in the cacaphonic scale of babylon, i throw on clothes that match magazine covers and mtv. i shiver, and my skin erupts into bumps larger than nfl footballs, and my fever runs so high i see the river my grandfather bathed in, the prayer beads he held in his hands as he chanted down the 99 names of ALLAH, on the mound on the hill overlooking the mud huts and mango trees of his village that he served with calls to prayers and medicines.

i am reminded of this lineage of medicine, of this path that is beyond name and money, that in its traditional form knew no degrees or labratories. i am reminded that in this present stage of searching for meaning, there lies a ocean of past to learn from, if i listen.

close your eyes and listen, my friend yari once told me. what do you hear?

the train going by, dmx blaaring from the car speakers.

what else? listen. what are the furthest sounds. shhhh. listen. can you hear the seagulls soaring over queensbridge, the fish flapping fins on the shards of 40oz bottles? shhhh, listen. grow still. be quiet. do you hear? you can only hear if you're Quiet...

3 comments:

  1. It feels here like you are savoring the questions, the moments, the sensation and color of time.
    It reminds me of the words of Rainer Maria Rilke, who suggested in Letters to a Young Poet in 1903:

    "...I would like to beg you dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."

    Here we are, living the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all praise is due... yes! beautiful. living the question...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I yearn to hear the silence in my mind...barely a time I ever hear passed my thoughts. My mind is like a sea of voices. Doing my best to hear the silence of my soul. Are you ready? Let's do this. Breathe with me. Take a deep breath and say to yourself " I am not this body" and when you exhale say to yourself " I am not even this mind." Focus focus! What are they thinking? What are they laughing at? I wish we were alone...."Let go of all thoughts"....(sigh of relief) is this what it feels like to be at peace in such commotion...did he hear me thinking? I feel he can read my thoughts....No one matters....All that matters is this moment....we are one...Feeling peace...."On your last exhale, slowly open your eyes"....That was beautiful. Listen to your thoughts Star child, they are not your own. How am I not my body and my mind? I have had this body and mind since I was born. Born from the stars. You were never this body. Be grateful for your vessel, for it has brought you to where you are now. Listen...Now that is the true calling of yourself. Let go of all fears and remember who you are. I am remembering...Thank you.

    ReplyDelete