Sunday, December 8, 2013

day 7: i AM


"i am not in this world to live up to your expectation, nor are you to live up to mine... i said I AM, that I AM, that I AM, I AM,  AM..."

peter tosh, by way of noah, a singer, who played the harmonium and sang his rendition, incorporating the teachings of krsna and moses in the kirtan i attended last night. it was a beautiful, deeply stirring moment in meditation for me, as i sat with my eyes closed, legs crossed, in front of my Light-lit homeboy by the same name of the singer, noah, his radiant girl and homegirl, and dozens of others, stirred into chanting.

the singer said that I AM is the name of God.

last year, before i left for india, on new years day, my homeboy maurice, a warrior, spiritual teacher, had me over for an I AM gathering at his family home in brooklyn. while he helped ayanna, his warrior wife, chop up ingredients for the stew that was brewing, and while their son darted around, he explained.

I AM, maurice said, pushing up his glasses, is the recognition that You, your deeper Self, is in alignment with God, that there is no distinction. he said that instead of putting forth an intention of a goal you wish to accomplish, become the essence of that goal. doing this, he said, is acknowledging the sanctity of your Being, and going against this, not recognizing nor working towards this, is blasphemous.

so say it, Mauirce said, when he walked me out, into the brisk brownsville january air. I AM, he said...

I AM, i said, a medicine man.

then Be it, maurice said closing the door to winter.

so I AM that I AM I AM I AM I AM. and You Are that You Are You Are You Are.

2 comments:

  1. indeed, this is the fresh counter to the infamous "I will", "I want", "I need" and the like.

    that which is Divine is not bound by time,
    It is complete within Herself so evoking the I AM acknowledges completeness + abundance in the Present both of which are spiritual prerequisites for a material reality.

    love

    ReplyDelete